Managing a client is important task for each business. And for IT Consulting business, this is the key for long term success. Apart from strong skilled team of developers, and business consultant, each IT firm must focus on managing client relations.
There is no such technique, that would work with every client. Each client have different background context and different expectations from us as an IT Consultant. In such case, there is no guarantee that the technique that worked with earlier client, would work with new client. Although there is nothing that can be static while managing client relations, but there are few guidelines which can help you manage it in better ways. Here are some steps which can help you master client relations:
- Be patient: It takes a lot of time to develop a strong relationship with a client. Be patient with client, it takes a time while both you and your client build a mutual trust.
- Be a good Listener: This is the most important skill. You must learn to be a good listener. Until you don’t listen to them, you can’t proceed with the solutions that they are expecting form you. So when it comes to customer relations, the first step is to become a good listener. If you manage your clients through email, then you need to ask lot of questions to make sure that you fully understand their needs. This is the basics of getting into your customers foot.
- Put yourself in the client’s place: Think yourself as a client, put yourself in the shoes of your clients, and think about what you would want if you were there. Then you’ll be able to offer your clients solutions, that will not just satisfy them, but delight them.
- Think the best of your client: Always think best for the the client. When something go wrong between you and your customers, give them a chance to make it right. They might have made an honest mistake.
- Be creative: Offer you clients that most of your competitors wouldn’t. Be creative with what you can offer to your client. Give them an advise which might not be requested by client, but can save a dollar. Or show them how their best counterparts manages their work, and where they can improve.
Help your clients understand their requirements clearly, if needed, educate your clients, and they will love to work again and again with you.
And always remember, Good Work + Happy Relations = Happy Client = More Repeated Business = More Growth.